Thomas Paine

Thomas Paine
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

But why pick on mothers who stay at home?


Of all the heartless and mindless policies that the Coalition has introduced, perhaps that of encouraging mothers to return to work before their children have started school is the most heartless and mindless.

It seems as if there is a deliberate plan by the Coalition to separate children from their mothers to undermine family life – which will also create insecurity and sometimes trauma within the children separated from their mothers at such an early age.

Coupled to this, with high unemployment amongst the young, mothers giving up work whilst their children are so vulnerable would provide work opportunities for many of these individuals who lives must seem to hold no future.

It was surprising but good to learn that even Margaret Thatcher shared this view from this article in the Mail:

“When my two sons were pre-school age, my husband and I had dinner with Margaret Thatcher. She had only recently left office and I recall feeling slightly shamefaced when she asked me what I did.

‘Actually I don’t do very much – although I am thinking of going back to work,’ I hazarded, not wishing to admit to the world’s most powerful and pre-eminent woman that I had actually made a considered decision to relinquish my career in order to stay at home and raise my children.

I imagined the former prime minister would be unimpressed; actually she applauded me. ‘My dear, you should not rush back to work. It just isn’t worth it. Your children need you.’

To this day, I recall feeling at once grateful that I did not have to embark on an exercise in self-justification, and pleased that a woman of such formidable political standing should recognise the value of my role as a stay-at-home mum.”

No comments:

Post a Comment